Saturday, January 26, 2008

A Conversation With My Son

Since my husband volunteered for overtime duty this weekend, I was on my own for completing weekend housework chores with the children.



Suffering from back pain, I begged off some duties to the children in return for "whatever they wanted" (** note for future offer something specific never tell the children I will give them whatever they want).



While I was helping Gabriel clean his room we got onto the subject of doing things well vs doing them poorly and I asked him on a whim if he thought I was a good mother. He thought about this for a moment, not knowing of course that any perceived "wrong" answer he gave me would result in his being grounded until his 45'th birthday and decidedly said..."you're ok I guess."



Engaged (and feeling this an opportunity to grow as a mother) I asked, "well what do you mean son?" "Well," he said "you're good at like doing nice stuff and taking care of me and all...but um you're kind of ummm bossy."



Amused I said, "bossy?" "Uh yeah, you know because you are always telling me what to do and stuff, I mean I know you have to, but it's just that I don't like it all the time."



I told him, "well you know Gabriel it's never going to get any easier to be told what to do. Even when you grow up and get older I'll still tell you what to do. I'll still be bossy."



"I know," he says "and even when I get married too."



"That's right" I said, "even when you get married I'll still tell you what to do, even though you are a married adult man."



"No mom, that's not what I mean. I mean that YOU will be bossy and so will my wife. So the two of you will always be telling me what to do."



Oh son of mine....you have no idea.

No comments: