Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Laughing Wild

Yesterday was one of those days. You know the kind? At first little, inconspicuous things happen. Spill your coffee. Burn your toast. Stub your toe. Subsequently, as the day progresses bigger, more ominous things are happening all around you. Toilet overflowing, bounced checks, car breaking down in the rain...etc. By the end of the day you're screaming aloud to anyone who will listen -- "I'm. Having. A. Bad. Day."

Instead of taking the lengthy route, I'll simply bullet point the occurrences of the day:
  • Started my day at 3am. Could not fall back asleep, children waking at 6am.
  • One of my children was kind enough to colour in the grout lines in the bathroom with a blue marker.
  • Another child was kind enough to break Joseph's fingers off from my nativity set.
  • My youngest child had explosive, pants staining diarrhea all day.
  • The dog climbed up on the trash cans and pulled down a sack of trash, dragging and chewing it all over the yard.
  • I washed, dried, folded and put away six loads of laundry. (I still have about 3 more to do)
  • Internet and telephone service was off and on during the day as a result of the storms in the area.
  • My darling husband called me from work to remind me of a few things. (like to make a bank deposit, not to plan anything for Christmas Eve, etc)
  • Neighbor brings by a tray of cookies at noon with me still in pajamas.
  • Christmas guests have not firmed up their plans.
I think you get the idea.

Nearing the end of the day I really didn't have the energy but,I just had to laugh. Doing so, I remembered a favorite play I performed pieces from in High School called "Laughing Wild".

It's comprised of coinciding monologues performed by a man and a woman each discussing the challenges of living in our modern world and their personal forays into functional insanity. She's smart but slightly imbalanced and a little scary. He's smart but depressed, fearful and insecure.

"Laugh, laugh, laugh. Laughter is a tonic. So forget crying. Cry, and you cry alone. Laugh....and you cry alone later."

No comments: