Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First Day of (home) School!

Today was our first official day of "school". As with all firsts, there were a few hitches - not starting on time which resulted in working past my mental deadline, failure to take into consideration the length of time it would take Gabe to finish certain subjects (and acclimating himself) and of course the very minor interruptions from the little ones.

Keeping all this in mind I will be able to fine tune our system over the next few weeks or so, into a well oiled, highly functional operation! At which point I will be able to incorporate Capi's lessons as well. I intend on doing a combo pre-K / Kindergarten regimen for her.

Our lesson in math was a small triumph, as I was able to learn what method best helps Gabe in understanding and grasping the concept. In regards to math, we've had to go back to third grade and I hope that with this small victory it will open the window to get him back on track!

When Ralph came home tonight he asked Gabriel how he liked the first day of "school" and he replied, "I thought it was great! I liked being at home and riding my skateboard in between lessons."

I learned that I thrive on chaos, adrenaline, planning, scheduling and having several balls in the air at once. Today reminded me of when I was working with my mom and we'd been given the opportunity to sell an Initial Public Offering (IPO) to our clients. What a thrill!

Except today's thrill meant I was investing in my children, my greatest asset.

No comments: